Monday, October 10, 2011

Accompaniments: Pickled Serrano Chili Peppers


Usually, when I am making a dish that requires a hot pepper I only need one or two at a time.  But then there I am at the supermarket and all I see are packages of hot peppers.  There just isn't a way that I will use up 20 serrano peppers this week.  But I can pickle them to use later!  I always have a jar of pickled hot peppers in my fridge and I use them in place of the fresh ones in any recipe that calls for one.  They tend to be less hot but still very flavorful. 





Pickled Serrano Peppers

  • 1 lime cut in eighths
  • 1 clove of garlic sliced or quartered
  • as many chili peppers as you can fit in a jar
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon coriander seed
  • 3 tablspoons salt
  • white vinegar
Add lime, peppers, garlic, spices adn salt to a 16oz sterilized mason jar.  (To sterilize a jar and lid, place them in a pot of boiing water for 10 minutes.  Add vinegar until it rises above one fourth of the jar.  Fill the rest of the jar up to the lip with water so no air gets in.  They are ready to go after about 2 days.



7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the addition of the limes. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, the acidity helps with the pickling process and lime just tastes awesome with chili pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so tempting :) Your pickled chiles got me craving. I'd just love eating it out of the jar with some plain rice to go with it, ah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely..so fresh and delectable...like nashi i would like to eat it out of the jar with some steaming hot rice..but with some mutton to go along with it too...not so minimalist ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds spicy! Which I love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! great for cooking...I think I might try it with rice and mutton :)

    ReplyDelete