Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Sweet Spot: Chai Tea Ice Cream


A rainy day in March off a street in Berlin is a strange place to have first tried an Indian chai tea, but that is how it happened.  I was young traveler in the nineties with a backpack and a eurail pass, bought with pennies saved from waiting tables. Dewey and fresh-faced, I hopped around Europe hoping to collect adventures like postage stamps and come home more interesting and worldly.

Berlin greeted me with lots of rain and some friendly faces in pubs that sold me bratwurst in cumin-laced ketchup.  I had no agenda and no cell phone, a luxury I can not even fathom today.  Still I managed to meet up with fellow dewey and fresh-faced traveler-come-waitress friend on rainy day number three and we explored the city with ducked heads and hunched shoulders.  When the chill got too much for our thin coats, we ducked into an Indian cafe for some warmth and nourishment.  I don't remember what it was called or where we were but we sat by the water streaked window.  My traveling companion ordered us two cups of chai tea.  The tea was warm and rich with cinamon and clove, and I started to thaw like someone had plopped me in front of an open fire and thrown a fuzzy blanket around my shoulders.

Since then I have had many cups of chai tea on a chilly afternoon.  It isn't just the hot liquid but the richness of the sugar, milk and spices that can be such a comfort.  I have made some pretty successful chai tea cupcakes in the past.  This day I made chai tea ice cream, a twist on my earlier post on the the italian affogato.

It has been raining here but it isn't March and I am not ready for tea.  The sun is out again. I think I will savor the fleeting summer a little bit longer.

Chai Tea Ice Cream
Makes one pint:
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 chai tea bag
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinamon
On very low heat in a saucepan, heat milk and cream with the tea bag.  Heat until the tea is infused into the milk and cream. Let cool to room temperature. In an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, blend the egg and the sugar.  Add vanilla and cinamon to the egg and sugar and blend.  While the mixer is still going, pour in the milk and cream tea mixture.  Add to your ice cream maker and proceed according to its instruction manual.


7 comments:

  1. I love chai tea and Im sure its pretty amazing in ice cream form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I love chai tea so much and just bought some actually so I will have to try this out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chai-flavored anything! This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chai tea is one of my fav's! So spicy and yummy. I want to try this ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments. Definitely try this ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such an adorable post! we're such chai drinkers. i think i need to buy an ice cream maker coz almost all posts say put in ice cream maker and proceed as instruction manual!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I don't know how else to make ice cream. I have never been ot India but I love, love, love chai tea! Thanks again Thoma!

    ReplyDelete